[vox-announce] Linux Users' Group of Davis, May 5th social & May 18th Oracle presentation (plus, new venue needed)

nbs nbs at sonic.net
Fri May 1 00:02:23 PDT 2009

Members of the Linux Users' Group of Davis will meet up for a social gathering
over dinner on:

  Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
  around 7pm until ??

at Crepeville Restaurant in downtown Davis:

  Crepeville
  330 3rd Street
  Davis, CA 95616
  (Directions: http://www.lugod.org/meeting/crepeville/ )

Then, later in May...

The Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD) will be holding its next meeting on:

  Monday
  May 18, 2009
  7:00pm - 9:00pm

The meeting will be held at our regular location:

  Davis Public Library
  Blanchard Meeting Room
  315 East 14th St.
  Davis, California 95616

Presentation:

  Oracle Linux Engineering Update

  Presented by:
    Todd Trichler, Oracle Technology Network

  With the recent focus on Linux Storage & File Systems, I thought it
  would be interesting to examine some of the work being done by
  Oracle's Linux Engineering Team, in the areas of: clustering, data
  integrity, virtualization and Linux stability and performance. For
  each area we will try and answer the following questions: Why are
  these improvements important? What is being done? Where to next?

  We will also give a short demo of Oracle VM Server, a GPL'd Xen-based
  server virtualization environment.

  This will be followed by an post presentation pizza party, courtesy of
  Oracle Technology Network (OTN) (at 'a place of your choosing').

  About the Speaker:
    Todd Trichler is an Oracle veteran of eight years, having worked
    in alliances, product management, and marketing. As Senior Principal
    Product Manager for OTN, he has been working closely with development
    to drive Oracle's engagements with JUGs, LUGs, PUGs and other members
    of the Java, Linux, and PHP technical communities.

For more details on this meeting, visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/#2009.05.18

For maps, directions, public transportation schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/library/

New Venue Needed (Starting June)

  Beginning in June, LUGOD will not be able to meet at the
  Public Library for at least 12 months.  (The library will be relocated
  while the current facility undergoes renovation, so the meeting room
  is unavailable.)  If you can help provide a new location for us to meet
  for the interim, please let us know!  Contact Bill Kendrick, root at lugod.org.

About LUGOD:

  The Linux Users' Group of Davis is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
  dedicated to the Linux computer operating system and other Open Source
  and Free Software.

  For over 10 years, LUGOD has held regular meetings with guest speakers
  in Davis, California, as well as other events in Davis and the greater
  Sacramento region.  Events are always free and open to the public.

  Please visit our website for more details:  http://www.lugod.org/

--
Bill Kendrick
pr at lugod.org