[vox-announce] May 17 Linux Users Group of Davis meeting: Oracle's OCFS version 2

nbs pr@lugod.org
Wed, 5 May 2004 01:31:02 -0700

The Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD), will be holding a meeting on:

  Monday
  May 17, 2004
  6:30pm - 9:00pm

The meeting will be held at our regular location:

  Davis Public Library
  315 East 14th Street
  Davis, CA 95616

The topic will be:

  Oracle Clustered Filesystem, version 2
  presented by: Kurt Hackel, Senior Software Engineer, Oracle Corp.

  The Oracle Clustered Filesystem was created at Oracle as a
  replacement for raw disks in a clustered database environment, and was
  later released for Linux under the GPL.  The primary goal of version 1
  of OCFS was to make the administration of Oracle Real Application
  Cluster (RAC) databases much easier by providing a cluster aware
  filesystem that would allow Oracle I/O rates to be at or above raw disk
  speeds, in exchange for much reduced metadata performance.  In designing
  OCFS version 2, a primary goal was to drastically improve this metadata
  performance in order to allow database and system administrators to put
  both database files, as well as executable and configuration files on
  one filesystem.  By making significant changes to the journalling,
  caching, I/O and locking code, OCFS version 2 is much closer to being a
  general purpose clustered filesystem than its predecessor.  In addition
  to these changes, I will also discuss what additional enhancements can
  be made going forward in the OCFS code, and propose some possible changes
  to the Linux VFS based on what we have learned in OCFS version 2.

  Kurt Hackel is a Senior Software Engineer with Oracle Corp. and
  has been with the company since 1996.  In 2000, he joined the New
  Internet Computer development project, working on some small parts of
  the user interface, as well as adding gnome-vfs support to the userfs
  (userland filesystem) kernel module.  The following year, he began
  to port the Oracle Clustered Filesystem from Windows NT to Linux, and
  has been involved in each major change to OCFS since.

For details on this meeting, visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

For maps, directions, public transportation schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/library/

About LUGOD:

  LUGOD is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
  Linux computer operating system and Open Source software,
  and which holds meetings twice a month in Davis, CA.
  Meetings are always free and open to the public.

Please visit our website for details:

  http://www.lugod.org/

-bill!
pr@lugod.org