[vox-announce] This is the season, burn, burn, burn...

Bill Kendrick nbs@sonic.net
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 01:25:23 -0800

LUGOD seems to be participating in more and more events lately, and we've
got a two more big events coming up over the next two months:

  * Picnic Day (April 12th)
  * Whole Earth Festival (May 9th thru 11th)

These are the perfect kinds of events for LUGOD to be handing out useful
discs to get people more familiar with, and interested in, Linux and
Open Source software in general.

At the last event we attended, a Tech. Writers conference in Sacramento
(last Saturday, March 29th), we handed out almost every disc we brought.

So, I'd like to ask those of you with CD burners and some time to spare
if you'd do LUGOD the favor of burning some discs for us to give out at
these events.  (Idealistically, it'd be great to have these kinds of discs
at all of our events - demos, meetings and installfests - since we always
have folks who would find them useful.)

Specifically, the more useful (and popular) things include:

  * Knoppix
    A "Live Linux CD" - the perfect way to try Linux, without the commitment.
    http://www.knoppix.org/

  * OpenOffice.org
    The immensely popular Open Source office suite, based on Star office.
    http://www.openoffice.org/

  * GNUWinII
    A collection of popular Open Source software built for Windows.
    http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/

Linux distros (installation CDs) are always good to have, too...
(Although we may be able to get the distributions themselves to send us some
discs to give away.)

If you're interested in helping out, please e-mail me privately (root@lugod.org)
or sign up for LUGOD's "vox-outreach" mailing list, and drop a note there.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-winded e-mail!

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/

PS - We're always looking for volunteers to help coordinate and staff these
     kinds of events, too!  Again, contact me or vox-outreach if you'd like
     to help!